The research produced by YU-CARE members and associates along the theme of the physiology and biomechanics of aging are impactful at the individual, organizational, and societal levels. Research spans from topics including:
- Pain and Aging;
- Physiology & Biomechanics and Aging; and
- Physical Activity and Aging.
Please click the hyperlink (content italicized and underlined in red) at each citation to find each article or abstract.
For a downloadable version of this webpage, please click here.
For a downloadable version of the entire YU-CARE Research Compendium, please click here.
Pain and Aging
- Gagliese, L., Gauthier, L. R., Narain, N., & Freedman, T. (2018). Pain, aging and dementia: Towards a biopsychosocial model. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 87, 207-215.
- Gauthier, L. R., Dworkin, R. H., Warr, D., Riddell, R. P., Macpherson, A. K., Rodin, G., ... Gagliese, L. (2017). Age-Related Patterns in Cancer Pain and Its Psychosocial Impact: Investigating the Role of Variability in Physical and Mental Health Quality of Life. Pain Medicine, 19(4), 658-676.
- Gagliese, L., Gauthier, L. R., Narain, N., & Freedman, T. (2017). Pain, aging and dementia: Towards a biopsychosocial model. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry.
- Mah, K.*, Tran, K.T.*, Gauthier, L.R., Rodin, G., Zimmermann, C., Warr, D.G., Librach, S.L., Moore, M.J., Shepherd, F.A., & Gagliese, L. (2017). Psychometric evaluation of the Pain Attitudes Questionnaire-Revised for younger and older people with advanced cancer. Submitted to The Journal of Pain. *Co-first authors
- Gauthier, L.R., Dworkin, R.H., Warr, D., Pillai Riddell, R., Macpherson, A., Rodin, G., Zimmermann, C., Librach, S.L., Moore, M., Shepherd, F.A., & Gagliese, L. (2017) Age-related patterns in cancer pain and its psychosocial impact: investigating the role of variability in physical and mental health quality of life. Submitted to Pain Medicine.
- Hochman, J.R., Davis, A.M., Elkayam J., Gagliese, L., & Hawker G.A., (2013) Neuropathic pain symptoms on the Modified painDETECT correlate with signs of central sensitization in knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 21(9) S1: 1236-1242.
- Gagliese, L., Katz, L., Gibson, M., Clark, A. J., Lussier, D., Gordon, A., & Salter, M. W. (2012). A brief educational intervention about pain and aging for older members of the community and health care workers. Journal of Pain, 13(9), 849-856.
- Gagliese, L., & Melzack, R. (2003). Age-related differences in the qualities but not the intensity of chronic pain. Pain, 104, 597-608.
- Gagliese, L., & Melzack, R. (1997). Chronic pain in elderly people. Pain, 70, 3-14
- Gagliese, L., & Melzack, R. (1997). Lack of evidence for age differences in pain beliefs. Pain Research and Management, 2, 19-28.
- Gagliese, L., & Melzack, R. (1997). Age differences in the quality of chronic pain. Pain Research and Management, 2, 157-162.
- Meisner, B. A., Linton, V., Séguin, A., & Spassiani, N. A. (2017). Examining chronic disease, pain-related impairment, and physical activity among middle-aged and older adults in Canada: Implications for current and future aging populations. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 33(3), 182-192.
- Mah, K., Tran, K. T., Gauthier, L. R., Rodin, G., Zimmermann, C., Warr, D., ... & Gagliese, L. (2018). Do Correlates of Pain-Related Stoicism and Cautiousness Differ in Younger and Older People With Advanced Cancer?. Journal of Pain, 19(3), 301-316.
- Gagliese, L. (2009). Pain and aging: The emergence of a new subfield of pain research. Journal of Pain 10(4):343-53.
- Gagliese, L., Jovellanos, M., Zimmermann, C., Shobbrook, C., Warr, D., Rodin, G. (2009) Age-related patterns in adaptation to cancer pain: A mixed-method study. Pain Medicine 10(6): 1050-1061.
- Gagliese, L., Gauthier, L., & Rodin, G.M., (2007). Cancer pain and depression: A systematic review of age-related patterns. Pain Research and Management, 20(3), 205-211
- Gagliese, L., Weizblit, N., Ellis, W. & Chan, V. (2005). The measurement of postoperative pain: A comparison of intensity scales in younger and older surgical patients. Pain, 117, 412-20.
Physiology & Biomechanics of Aging
- Chen, C. C., Erlich, A. T., Crilly, M. J., & Hood, D. A. (2018). Parkin is required for exercise-induced mitophagy in muscle: Impact of aging. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, 315(3).
- Carter, H. N., Kim, Y., Erlich, A. T., Zarrin-Khat, D., & Hood, D. A. (2018). Autophagy and mitophagy flux in young and aged skeletal muscle following chronic contractile activity. The Journal of Physiology, 596(16), 3567-3584.
- Street, B. D., & Gage, W. (2017). After total knee replacement younger patients demonstrate superior balance control compared to older patients when recovering from a forward fall. Clinical Biomechanics, 44, 59-66.
- Huang J.H., A.-M. Joseph, V. Ljubicic, S. Iqbal, and D.A. Hood. Effect of age on the processing and import of matrix-destined mitochondrial proteins in skeletal muscle. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 65:138-46, 2010.
- Scime, A., Desrosiers, J., Trensz, F., Palidwor, G. A., Caron, A. Z., Andrade-Navarro, M. A., & Grenier, G. (2010). Transcriptional profiling of skeletal muscle reveals factors that are necessary to maintain satellite cell integrity during ageing. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 131, 9-20.
- Kuk, J. l., Saunders, T. J., Davidson, L. E., & Ross, R. (2009). Age-related changes in total and regional fat distribution. Ageing Research Reviews, 8(4), 339-348.
- Kuk, J. L., & Arden, C. I. (2009). Influence of age on the association between various measures of obesity and all-cause mortality. American Geriatrics Society, 57, 2077-2084.
- Kuk, J. L., Davidson, L. E., Hudson, R., Kilpatrick, K., Bacskai, K., & Ross, R. (2008). Association between dietary fat intake, liver fat, and insulin sensitivity in sedentary, abdominally obese, older men. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 32(2), 239-245.
- Kuk, J. L., Lee, S., Heymsfield, S. B., & Ross, R. (2005). Waist circumference and abdominal adipose tissue distribution: influence of age and sex. American Society for Clinical Nutrition, 81, 1330-1334.
- Brown, L., Gage, W., Polych, M., Sleik, R., & Winder, T. (2002). Central set influences on gait: Age-dependent effects of postural threat. Experimental Brain Research, 145(3), 286-296.
Physical Activity and Aging
- Kim, Y., Triolo, M., & Hood, D. A. (2017). Impact of Aging and Exercise on Mitochondrial Quality Control in Skeletal Muscle. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2017, 1-16.
- Carter, H. N., Chen, C. C., & Hood, D. A. (2015). Mitochondria, muscle health, and exercise with advancing age. Physiology, 30(3), 208-223.
- Brown, R. E., Riddell, M. C., Macpherson, A. K., Canning, K. L., & Kuk, J. L. (2013). The association between frequency of physical activity and mortality risk across the adult age span. Journal of Health and Aging, 25(2), 803-814.
- Meisner, B.A., Dogra, S., Logan, A.J., Baker, J., & Weir, P.L. (2010). Do or decline: Comparing the effects of physical inactivity on biopsychosocial components of successful aging. Journal of Health Psychology, 15, 688-696.
- Davidson LE, Hudson R, Kilpatrick K, et al. Effects of Exercise Modality on Insulin Resistance and Functional Limitation in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(2):122–131.
- Baker, J., Meisner, B., Logan, J. Kungl, A.M., & Weir, P. (2009). Physical activity and successful aging in Canadian seniors. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 17, 223-235.