The research produced by YU-CARE members and associates with regards to aging policy and healthy age promotion are impactful at the individual, organizational, and societal levels. Research spans from topics including:
- Employment, retirement & aging;
- Sports & leisure programs for healthy aging; and
- Long-term care policies and regulations for older persons.
Please click the hyperlink (content italicized and underlined in red) at each citation to find each article or abstract.
Employment, retirement & aging
- Higo, M. & Thomas R. Klassen, T.R. (2017) Reforms of Retirement Policies: Three Common Paths in Aging in Japan and Korea. Journal of Aging & Social Policy, 29:1, 70-83.
- The Redirection Project: Movers, Shakers and Shifters Cannexus17, Ottawa, 2017.
- Klassen TR, Higo M (2016) Rapid Population Ageing and Reforms to Contractual Mandatory Retirement in Japan and South Korea. Journal of Gerontology Geriatric Research. 5:350.
- Cook, S. L. (2015). Redirection: An extension of career during retirement. The Gerontological Society of America, 55(3), 360-373. [PDF]
- Hering, M., & Klassen, T.R. (2010). Strengthening Fairness and Funding in the Canada Pension Plan: Is Raising the Retirement Age an Option? Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 263, McMaster University.
- Klassen, T.R. and Gillin, C.T. (2005). "Legalized Age Discrimination." Journal of Law and Social Policy 20: 35-51.
- Gillin, C. T. and Klassen, T.R. (1995). “Age discrimination and mandatory retirement policies: A comparison of labor market regulation in Canada and the United States,” Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 7.1: 85-102.
Sports & Leisure Programs for Healthy Aging
- Massie, A. S.,* & Meisner, B. A. (2019). Perceptions of aging and experiences of ageism as constraining factors of moderate to vigorous leisure-time physical activity in later life. Society & Leisure, 42(1), 24-42. doi: 10.1080/07053436.2019.1582903 [Note: Special Issue on Social Participation, Leisure, and Active Aging]
- Meisner, B. A., Hutchinson, S. L., Gallant, K. A., Lauckner, H., & Stilwell, C. L.* (2019). Taking ‘Steps to Connect’ to later life: Exploring leisure program participation among older adults in rural communities. Society & Leisure, 42(1), 69-90. doi: 10.1080/07053436.2019.1582914 [Note: Special Issue on Social Participation, Leisure, and Active Aging]
- Stilwell, C. L.,* Hutchinson, S. L., & Meisner, B. A. (2019). ‘I’ve got Parkinson’s and that makes a difference’: Understanding health and leisure through a Parkinson’s disease diagnosis. Society & Leisure, 42(1), 43-55. doi: 10.1080/07053436.2019.1582904 [Note: Special Issue on Social Participation, Leisure, and Active Aging]
- Dixon, J., Horton, S., Chittle, L., & Baker, J. (in press). Relative age effects in sport: International perspectives. Routledge/Taylor and Francis. (publication date – Summer 2020).
- Helsen, W., Li, Z., Mao, L., Steingröver, C., Wattie, N., Baker, J., & Schorer, J. (in press). Relative age effects in elite Chinese soccer players: Implications of the ‘one-child’ policy. PLoS ONE (accepted January 27, 2020).
- Dehghansai, N., Spedale, D., Wilson, M. J., & Baker, J. (in press). Comparing developmental trajectories of elite able-bodied and wheelchair basketball players. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly (accepted December 11, 2019).
- Meisner, B. A., Hutchinson, S. L., Gallant, K. A., Lauckner, H., & Stilwell, C. L. (2019). Taking ‘Steps to Connect’ to later life: Exploring leisure program participation among older adults in rural communities. Society & Leisure, 42(1), 69-90.
- Memme, J. M., A. T Erlich, G. Phukan, and D. A. Hood. Exercise and mitochondrial health. Physiol. (Lond.) in press, 2019
- Oliveira, A. N. and D. A. Hood. Exercise is mitochondrial medicine for muscle. Sports Medicine and Health Science. 1:000-000, 2019
- Hutchinson, S. L., Lauckner, H., Meisner, B. A., Gallant, K. A., & Silversides, C. (2017). Fostering self-determination and sense of belonging through leisure education: Reflections on the Steps to Connect program. Society & Leisure, 40(3), 360-376.
- Manson, J., Rotondi, M., Jamnik, V., Arden, C., & Tamim, H. (2013). Effect of tai chi on musculoskeletal health-related fitness and self-reported physical health changes in low income, multiple ethnicity mid to older adults. BMC Geriatrics, 13(114), 1471-2318. [PDF]
- Manson, J. & Ritvo, P. & Ardern, C. & Weir, P. & Baker, J. & Jamnik, V. & Tamim, H. (2013). Tai Chi’s Effects on Health-Related Fitness of Low-Income Older Adults. Canadian Journal on Aging / La Revue canadienne du vieillissement 32(3), 270-277. [PDF]
- Meisner, B., Weir, P., & Baker, J. (2013). The relationship between aging expectations and various modes of physical activity among aging adults. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14, 569-576.
- Baker, J., Fraser-Thomas, J., Dionigi, R., & Horton, S. (2010). Sport participation and positive development in older persons. European Review of Aging and Physical Activity, 7, 3-12.
- Meisner, B.A., Dogra, S., Logan, A.J., Baker, J., & Weir, P.L. (2010). Do or decline: Comparing the effects of physical inactivity on biopsychosocial components of successful aging. Journal of Health Psychology, 15, 688-696.
- Baker, J., Meisner, B., Logan, J. Kungl, A.M., & Weir, P. (2009). Physical activity and successful aging in Canadian seniors. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 17, 223-235.
- Dogra, S., Meisner, B., & Baker, J. (2008). Psychosocial predictors of physical activity in older aged asthmatics. Age and Ageing, 37, 449-454.
Long-term Care Policies and Regulations for older Persons
- Barber, B. V.,* Weeks, L. E., Spassiani, N. A., & Meisner, B. A. (2020). Experiences of health and aging for younger adults in long-term care: A social-ecological multi-method approach. Disability & Society. Online. doi: 10.1080/09687599.2020.1751074 2. Fiocco, A. J., & Meisner, B. A. (2020). Mindful aging: The association between trait
- Pat Armstrong, Hugh Armstrong, Tamara Daly, Jacqueline Choiniere (2019) “Political Economy and Health”, for Change and Continuity: Canadian Political Economy in the New Millennium ed. by Mark Thomas, Leah F. Vosko, Carlo Fanelli, McGill Queen’s University Press, pp 229-244.
- Armstrong, P., Armstrong, H., & MacLeod, K. K. (2016). The threats of privatization to security in long-term residential care. Ageing International, 41(1), 99-116.
- Banerjee, A., & Armstrong, P. (2015) Centring care: explaining regulatory tensions in residential care for older persons. Studies in Political Economy, 95:1,7-28.
- Armstrong, H., Armstrong, P., & Daly, T. (2012). The thin blue line: Long term care as an indicator of equity in welfare states. Canadian Women Studies, 29(3), 49-60.
- Daly (2007). Out of place: mediating health and social care in Ontario's long-term care sector. Canadian journal on aging = La revue canadienne du vieillissement, 26 Suppl 1(Suppl 1), 63–75.